collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 8
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Sitting Down with Ljubljana GM Ty Engels  (Read 515 times)

Offline Dan Farnell

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Sitting Down with Ljubljana GM Ty Engels
« on: May 10, 2020, 05:40:20 PM »
LJUBLJANA -- When I met with the WBA's newest GM hire, Ty Engels, he appeared relaxed and casual, lying on his bed in sweats. It was almost as if his focus was elsewhere. His gaze would drift to his iPhone screen, and at times it seemed he lost track of the thread of our conversation. After several seasons away from baseball, he takes over the historically unsuccessful IBL franchise formerly known as the London Knights. His first move was to move the team to Ljubljana, Slovenia and change the name to the Dragons. Here is our conversation, edited for time and clarity.

The team's newly unveiled logo has drawn positive reviews

Dan Farnell: New to the league, and your first step has been to move from London to Ljubljana. What's the thinking there?

Ty Engels: I had to get out of London, cuz it was ummmm. Ummm. It was ummm. It uhh. I don't really remember.

DF: Was there something pulling you to Ljubljana.

TE: I like two basketball players from there, so I figure, ya know, let's just move our entire franchise to Slovenia where they absolutely adore baseball and definitely know what it is. It's gonna be a hit.

DF: Can you talk about what the Dragon symbolizes to the Slovenian people.

TE: Well one of Ljubljana's main attractions is the Dragon Bridge. It's been a part of Slovenian culture for centuries. And, ya know, we're coming in to breathe fire on the WBA.

DF: What's the outlook? You just moved Mario Beltre for a second round pick. What should we expect in the next season or two from the Dragons?

TE: Slovenia shouldn't expect a winner right away, but we're gonna make winning moves. And sometime in the near future, we're gonna put together an exciting team in Ljubljana.

DF: What jumps out at you as you look over your new roster and system.

TE: Really the uniforms come to mind. They're super exciting. That's pretty much all I got.

DF: You selected Bertrand Thorington with the number one pick. What was it that you saw in him that made you take him first overall?

TE: Thor is, if I can remember correctly, is really good. So I took him because that's what you're supposed to do.

DF: You've got the number one pitching prospect in the IBL.

TE: Do I? I didn't know that.

DF: I think so. At least he's pretty high. But you know your farm system a little bit, right?

TE: No.

DF: You're aware that it's quite good?

TE: Yeah.

DF: I guess you probably like that, right?

TE: Yeah it's exciting. It's gonna move us in the right direction.

DF: Do you think you've been a good brother?

TE: I've done the best I can.

DF: Best you can?

TE: Best I can.

DF: Best you can?

TE: Best I can. I've done the best I can. Whether that's good or bad, that's not for me to say.

DF: It's been reported that in roughly 2008, your brother, the GM of the Buenos Aires Dolphins, farted directly in your face very loudly. Is that something that motivates you?

TE: I think it was more like 2015.

DF: No way.

TE: Wasn't it when we lived together at Bronco Club?

DF: No I'm pretty sure it was at your parents' house.

TE: Huh. Well yeah it definitely motivates me. I kinda hold a grudge. It left a sour taste in my mouth quite literally. And I'm gonna metaphorically fart in his face in a few seasons here.

DF: Any final words for the fans, the GMs of the league, anything?

TE: Ummm. Harry Styles' new album was really good.

DF: Great well thanks for taking the time.

TE: Cool thanks Dan.

Dan Farnell

Dan Farnell is the beat writer for the Buenos Aires Dolphins and a frequent national contributor for the WBA Times. He required we add the sentence, "Mom if you're reading this, please come home, it's Mother's Day. I baked you cupcakes!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal