collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Emeralds and Pharaohs set to square off in 2124 WBACS  (Read 561 times)

Offline Dan Farnell

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Emeralds and Pharaohs set to square off in 2124 WBACS
« on: June 17, 2020, 09:22:54 AM »
CAIRO -- You never forget your first time. Or at least that’s what I’ve heard. (I wouldn’t know). This year’s WBACS features two GM’s experiencing their first time under the WBA’s brightest lights. From the ABL come the Northwest Emeralds, a young team that had to battle for the 4 seed all the way down to the final week of the season. Victorious in the IBL were the Cairo Pharaohs, a 3 seed who took down the two-time reigning IBL champion Mumbai Cobras in the first round before beating the white-hot Rome Generals in an IBLCS that needed all 7 games to determine a winner.

For Northwest GM Andy, the ABL title clearly means a great deal. “It took 19 long seasons but we never gave up belief. We knew we could win the ABL if we kept at it and kept building and we finally did it. This win means everything for the franchise. No more jokes about Andy not winning in the playoffs. We have one more series to go!” said the long-time GM.

Norbert Rhodes

A deadline acquisition of surefire hall of famer Norbert “Bonehead” Rhodes proved to be just what the young Emeralds clubhouse needed. According to Andy, “Norbert provided veteran "presents" for our guys. It was like christmas. He taught the young fellas how to win the big games.”

As for the Cairo Pharaohs, they are a franchise that has seen its outlook change dramatically since a change in leadership and a move from Barcelona. Under previous management, the Barcelona Bulls were known as a team that was often in the hunt, but never in the big game (get it? like hunting?). Clearly that has changed.

“It's a great feeling. It's a been a long road to get this point with lots of behind the scenes moves,” said Cairo GM Kevin (Cairo). “Taking over ahead of the 2123 season, only 4 players remain on the big league roster from the previous regime. The ownership, city, and the entire African continent are extremely proud of the players and coaches for their hard work and determination. Cairo baseball is on the map!”

Even some closest to the action have a hard time believing it. Acquired this season, IBLCS series MVP Raul Rivera said, "If someone told me back in June when I was sent to the other side of the world to play baseball I'd be standing here a champion with the MVP trophy in my hands I'd say nah man you're crazy."

Raul Rivera

Asked to outline the keys to his team’s success, Kevin told me, “The team was put together with a balanced approach in mind. The guys were near the top of the league in pitching, hitting, and defense. The turning point for this team was shaking up the starting rotation and shuffling the lineups when the team sat around .500 at the mid-season point. Swapping Antoine Jean to the bullpen in favor of Teddy Guillou in the rotation was a nice spark to go along with the lineup shuffling. After that the team played at their peak and managed to finish the season performing at the same level as the top teams.”

But the Pharaohs are not satisfied to be IBL champs only. "Our work is not done,” said star pitcher Shignenaga Matsuo following game 7, “A small celebration will commence soon and then we will immediately switch our focus to bringing home the ultimate prize, the WBACS title."

With game 1 mere hours away, both managers are assessing their own locker rooms, while also studying their opponent. Asked about his team’s outlook, Kevin (Cairo) said with alarming frankess, “Northwest has an incredible lineup. It's downright scary. For Cairo to be successful we have to limit the home run ball and keep them off the base paths. Easier said than done. The Emeralds pitching staff is excellent. The only advantage we have is that our lineup hits RHP better, and the Emeralds only have one left handed pitcher. I think Northwest comes in as the slight favorite but I'm expecting a good series that could go either way.”

Northwest manager Andy told us he is still pouring over the reports from the scouting department. He emphasized the importance of taking things one game at a time, a profound and novel approach, as many managers these days are tempted to take things many games at a time.

"They are a good team but so are we," said Andy. "Should be a good series."

In this business, a lot of writers don’t like making predictions. They tell me, “Dan, nothing good can come of it.” Well, I’ve been around this game a long time, and when you can see the future clear as I can, I figure you have a duty to share that. My prediction: the team that gets the big outs and the big hits will take home the trophy.

Also, a noteworthy thing I realized after writing this article and am too lazy to make flow into the article. Both teams will be relying heavily on an infielder who started the season with the Carolina Flight. Rhodes for Northwest. Rivera for Cairo. How 'bout that?!

-Dan Farnell

Dan Farnell is the beat writer for the Buenos Aires Dolphins. He is closely monitoring the extremely tense situation in Argentina. He is thankful that the protesters, owners, players, and all other involved parties have agreed to not do anything important while the WBACS is going on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal