collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 20
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Aging ace Mitchell born again in Buenos Aires  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Havana_Jake

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Aging ace Mitchell born again in Buenos Aires
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »
Aging ace Mitchell born again in Buenos Aires

BUENOS AIRES -- Almost everything has changed in Buenos Aires since the glory days of the late 2100’s. Elsewhere are the stars who carried the Dolphins to consecutive ABL championships and a 2109 World Championship. Instead of contending for pennants, as had become expectation and norm during B.A. Jake’ tenure, the club now struggles to climb out of the cellar of the ABL’s powerhouse Latin America division. But the Buenos Aires clubhouses of then and now share at least one trait. They are both towered over by Clifford Mitchell, whose presence somehow looms even larger than his 6’7” frame would indicate.

“It’s good to be back,” says the 41 year old Mitchell as he banters with younger players occupying the ping-pong table.

Mitchell’s departure from the Dolphins shook Buenos Aires 6 seasons ago. In the off-season immediately following the Dolphins’ first and only WBA championship, the right-handed was traded to Melbourne for infielder Tamirat Sifiye. The move was heralded at the time as a boon for the Buenos Aires franchise. But without Mitchell the team was not able to replicate the postseason success it had experienced in 2108 and 2109. Despite talented rosters, the Dolphins seemed snake-bit in the playoffs. Their window for success would ultimately close in 2115, the team never again reaching the WBA World Series.

“It was the hardest deal I’ve ever made,” said Dolphins GM Jake. “I hate to be dramatic, but I lost sleep over it. At the time I believed it to be the best move for our franchise. But it never felt right starting a playoff series without Fudd on the mound for game 1. It just never felt right. When I saw the opportunity to get him back I jumped at it.” Mitchell declined to comment on the trade.

The opportunity for Jake to return Mitchell to Buenos Aires presented itself in the winter before the 2116 season. Mitchell was slated to begin the season in Rome’s minor leagues. Engels traded a prospect to Rome to bring back the pitcher who meant so much to his franchise’s history. Mitchell would start for the Dolphins for several months before eventually claiming the closer’s role, which he has yet to relinquish. In fact, Mitchel is posting a stellar 3.10 ERA through 3 months of his age 41 season.

“I remember hearing media reports that I’d be responsible for mentoring young pitchers,” said Mitchell. “I kind of scoffed at those stories because I knew I could still pitch. I wouldn’t be out here unless I knew I could still pitch.”

As for Mitchell’s future, rumors have swirled that the manager’s job is his to lose pending the expectedly forthcoming retirement of current manager Jon Taylor. Mitchell addressed those rumors in typical “Fudd” fashion. When asked about them, he simply replied, “I’m here to pitch.”

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Aging ace Mitchell born again in Buenos Aires
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 07:26:25 PM »
Awesome. I'd noticed Fudd's resurgence in the 'pen.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal